Monday, January 7, 2013

The Museum

Grand StaircasePhotos: January 6, 2013

There was a wonderful exhibit at the Musée des Beaux Arts: Once Upon a Time.... Impressionism It featured French paintings from the Clark Museum I was at the Clark some 20 years ago but it was a treat to see these paintings again. Impressionist artists are among my favourites. I had been to the exhibit once with my daughter. That time we took a tour.  This time my son was with us too and we lingered over the paintings - not easy with the crowds the exhibit had attracted.

A favourite moment for me was listening to a father explain the painting techniques to his (approximately) 5 year old daughter. I wished I could follow him around. His explanations were wonderful.

The exhibit featured highlights from one couple's collection for their private homes. There were magnificent portraits, but it is the outdoor scenes that really speak to me. Such a treat to spend an afternoon en famille enjoying great art.


1 comment:

  1. Susan, I just spent a morning with my youngest Grands at the Denver Art Museum. It's wonderful to see the paintings through a child's eyes. I would say,"What do you think the painter is trying to tell us?" They would look closely at the paintings and weave the most fanciful and wonderful stories. I enjoyed that art talk very much! I like when the museum exhibits attract all ages.

    ReplyDelete