Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Glads

Glads

Each summer I buy glads almost every week. I love the variety of colours and the drama of these long stemmed beauties. It's a delight to watch as the blossoms open, climbing up the stalks until their height of glory. I nurture them, changing the water each day (I was advised to only put a couple of inches of water in the vase) and cut back the stems so they can drink profusely.

In addition to their beauty, they are a connection to my late mother. In later years, when they wintered in Florida, she would buy glads at the local market. As I carefully arrange them in my vase, I think of her and the blossoms put a smile on my face as I feel her warmth.

2 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS!!! Especially against the black background - really makes them pop with that gentle light. Nice to have them a remembrance of your mom, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post put a smile on my face as it brought me memories of my late mother-in-law who also lived in FL and loved buying weekly Glads for her entry foyer. She loved the peach colored ones!

    ReplyDelete