Monday, April 11, 2011

Sour Cherries


Sour Cherries, originally uploaded by susanvg.

Some foods mean so much more than just what they are. I occasionally buy sour cherries because of childhood memories. My mother immigrated to Canada as a child. In those days people tried to fit in, to assimilate. They changed their names to sound more Canadian and only spoke their mother tongue at home. But food was one thing they hung on to from their homelands. Although my grandparents died when I was very young (by the time I was five), I still have a vivid memory of sitting in their kitchen and eating sour cherries.

I bought these and will probably leave them on the pantry shelf for a while, just to catch a glimpse of them when I open the pantry door and have those early memories play on my mind. Once opened, I will savour the taste as it conjures up people long gone from my life. Taste and smells are powerful reminders of past experiences.

4 comments:

  1. Your jar of sour cherries made my mouth and mind react. My grandparents had cherry trees, from which we picked and ate! I like your idea of only 'looking' at them for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post! I have a Japanese apricot tree in my garden. It has a lot of fruits in May. I pick the fruits and make ume liquor! Sour and sweet liquor is ready to drink one year later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Memories to both see and taste are some of the strongest, I'd imagine. Some sights, smells, sounds, and tastes do carry us back to our beginnings. I'm glad that for you those memories are good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing like childhood memories, especially those that are edible. May you savour the cherries and the memories they bring.

    ReplyDelete