Thursday, April 21, 2011

Bonsai


Bonsai II, originally uploaded by susanvg.
On the way into the greenhouse that housed the butterfly exhibit, I passed through an area with a number of bonsais. The Montreal Botanical Gardens has a large collection of bonsais, some hundreds of years old. Each pot is a world in miniature.

Bonsai III

It takes much loving care to nurture these trees into this size and these shapes. Many of the bonsais in Montreal are only available for viewing from May to October. I'll have to make another visit to see more of the collection.

Bonsai !

6 comments:

  1. All beautiful little exhibits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to visit this exhibit. I'm fascinated by bonsai. Unfortunately, I think they require more TLC than I can provide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These bonsais are very beautiful arts. Bonsais of pine trees, Japanese apricots and cherry blossoms are familiar to Japanese people. Today I saw a wisteria bonsai on TV. Yes,it takes a lot of time and tender cares to nurture into these shapes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am fascinated with bonsai and these are incredible, nurtured specimens. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've visited these gardens some years ago - such a beautiful collection of flowers and plants. If i ever visit Montreal again, I'll be sure to spend a day here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful collection of bonsais. It must take such patience to make them look so amazing.

    ReplyDelete