Thursday, December 16, 2010

Oils and Vinegars


Oils and Vinegars, originally uploaded by susanvg.
This is one of my favourite shops in the Atwater Market, Les Douceurs du Marché. It is owned by two men, who are more than helpful when it comes to selecting items from their enormous selection. One wall is devoted to oils and vinegars. My spouse is partial to olive oil from Greece; here you can find some which specify which grove it is from, much like with wines.

Many Choices

Another wall has every kind of sauce and marinade you can imagine from every ethnic group. You can burn your gut with the hottest hot sauces, enjoy every flavour of salad dressing and sample sauces from around the world. Do you need specialty rice? special grains? any kind of tea? I can spend a long time just admiring the variety. And I do buy. Shopping here always comes with conversation, whether about the origins of what you buy or about politics. Shopping here is personal and browsing is encouraged. It's a must stop every time I come to the market.

Today's basket included some gifts, tea and wild rice.

4 comments:

  1. What a unique and wonderful shop! Shop and converse- nice to know there are still places with a personal touch. Good story to go along with a well-composed shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful place to shop. So much selection and a wonderful ambiance. All the very well organized bottles make for great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen such a shop, Susan. Amazing; wish I could shop there now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my kind of shop! I love the shapes, colors, origins, display shelves. I'd be right there with you, buying and taking photos!

    ReplyDelete