Wednesday, December 1, 2010

From the 1800s


From the 1800s, originally uploaded by susanvg.
Another concert - this time in the Chapelle Historique du Bon Pasteur, now a concert venue, once part of a complex that served as a convent. They were built over a few decades to house the "Sisters of the CornmunautĂ© de Notre-Dame du Bon-Pasteur d'Angers, who came from France in 1844"   If you want to know more, click here. The buildings have been put to new uses, including the concert hall in what was once the chapel. In this back section there are condos and a seniors' residence.

I love the solid feel of the old stone buildings. Across the street are newer condos which just don't have the same charm. Fortunately, the architects tried to make them fit into the surroundings in terms of size and proportions.

The concert - a delight. A visit with Mr. Bach by Ensemble Caprice. Just the thing to chase away the blues on a blustery grey day.

2 comments:

  1. I really like this photo, Susan. The way you've shot the wet street leads the eye into the photo. I also like that row of lights on the left side and the moody sky. The whole photo looks like a sepia, old-time scene (if only there were carriages instead of cars!). I'll hear Bocelli in concert next week in Houston - I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this picture. It fits perfectly with the perspective/vanishing point art lesson I did with my students this week.

    ReplyDelete