Sunday, August 29, 2010

Aug 27/10: Freight Train


Aug 27/10: Freight Train, originally uploaded by susanvg.

Trains are still important in Canada, bringing goods from one part of the country to another. This is a train summer for me. I was standing on the platform in Stratfod, waiting for the train to take me home when this freight train passed. Another trip next week, this time for work.

The railway is what connected our country. The last spike was hammered in to join our country coast to coast 125 years ago. The car has become king, but we need to look again at the importance of rail for environmental reasons.

"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run" (from Gordon Lightfoot's Canadian Railroad Trilogy). A new book is available illustrating this wonderful song. I've just ordered it. Let's celebrate the railroad.

1 comment:

  1. Do you travel by train a lot? I rarely do, but think it would be a carefree way to see the countryside. So - you are back to work so soon? I guess the vacation is over...

    ReplyDelete