Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Aug 25/10: Shakespeare


Aug 25/10: Shakespeare, originally uploaded by susanvg.

My parents first came to the Stratford Festival about the second year of the festival when it was still held in a tent. They brought me here for the first time in 1962 and I have been here a number of times since. I love the town; I love the theatre here. I first brought my children here in 1993 to see A Midsummer Night's Dream. My daughter was hooked and she and I have come several times together. This year we are here again and the magic of the place casts its spell over us.

We revel in the morning talks where actors share their stories or members of the festival wrestle with some of the themes of the plays of the season. We stroll along the river enjoying the tranquility. But mostly we are entranced by the quality of the shows.

The Stratford Festival is a repertory festival - twelve plays in four theatres share the schedule. Actors play in more than one play, sometimes playing in two productions in a day. Sitting through two is a mental challenge. Playing in two is both a physical and mental marathon. Today we only scheduled one play - As You Like It in the Festival Theatre. The brass will sound the fanfare calling the patrons into the theatre and I know I will have goosebumps. And then the show...

4 comments:

  1. What a terrific capture of this statue! I don't think they are easy to photograph but you nailed it! I hope the magic continues - the learning and moments like this - doesn't get much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shiny Shakespeare. It's amazing how great art/literature endures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Bard almost looks like the Tin Man! Glad you and your daughter can enjoy the Festival together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Susan, I do envy you for all the wonderful art festival you have the chance of attending all the time! I never realized that there is a Stratford in Canada, too! This Shakespeare statue looks a bit like a teacher lecturing on a podium.

    ReplyDelete