Saturday, April 24, 2010

Apr 23/10: Planting Soon


Apr 23/10: Planting Soon, originally uploaded by susanvg.

These pots of pansies sit ready to be sold and planted. While my perennials come up, I start to think of what I will need to fill in some of the gaps. I have always loved pansies, with their velvety faces.

The sign below says "Food at its best" and it made me think how our notion of edibles has blurred. Many flowers are edible ( I found this site that describes many). I prefer to keep my flowers on view, but many fancy restaurants put flowers sparingly in salads and as garnishes. I had a friend who froze flowers in ice cubes to put in summer drinks.

I'll stick with vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower for my flower consumption.

4 comments:

  1. Oh - I'm thinking of pansies, too - my Mother's favorite flower (along with roses). I'm going to plant some in Denver under a shade tree. Last year I planted nasturtiums, but I didn't eat any!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - tis the flower planting season. I often get the itch to do so around this time and then find out I have to do it again in about 8 weeks. Now to just really make that the plan instead of the event that happens. :-)
    Pansies have been a favorite as well as petunias. As for eating - I prefer viewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just recently learned you can eat the flowers of a Red Bud tree and the roots of Spring Beauties have tiny like potatoes one can eat! I will visit the site you mentioned.
    ...Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very fond of the pansies as well. I like that they seed down and I don't have to buy as many plants the next year.

    ReplyDelete