Saturday, March 6, 2010

Mar 6/10: List


Mar 6/10: List, originally uploaded by susanvg.

Daily Shoot: Lists guide an eye in a linear way: menus, recipes, etc. As you're out and about today, find a list and make a photo.

The older I get the more conscious I am of the importance of eating right. I try to make sense of the lists on packages to see if I am making good choices. One thing puzzles me - vitamins and minerals are listed as a percent of the daily recommended allowance. I can't believe that my daily recommended quantities (I am about 5' or 152 cm tall) are the same as for a tall man. I do know that demands for calcium change with gender, age and physical condition, so how could this milk carton state that 250 ml provides 30% of your daily calcium? I wish they would be specific about quantities. I try to get my alphabet full of food from vitamin A to zinc (with the help of some vitamin supplements) but do indulge in some of life's more important nutrients such as caffeine and chocolate.

5 comments:

  1. Coffee and caffeine....they're forms of vitamin C...right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you included caffeine and chocolate - there are many benefits to them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I think they sometimes make those labels confusing on purpose. They want us to believe we're getting more of what's good for us and less of what's not good for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good choice for the day's pic. I'm finding myself paying more attention to labels as well and trying harder to stay away from processed foods. I'm even trying to switch from milk to dark chocolate-not an easy task. But the caffeine won't being going anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is Life without the essentials - dark chocolate and strong coffee? A nutritionist lectured this week at Rehab - quite interesting. I am reading labels all the time now...

    ReplyDelete