Friday, March 5, 2010

Mar 5/10: Blood Orange


Mar 5/10: Blood Orange, originally uploaded by susanvg.

There was a time when we would only get a few varieties of oranges. Before my trip to Italy many years ago I had never seen a blood orange. We went to the market in Rome and bought fresh fruit to feast on: fistfuls of cherries, tied in a bouquet, juicy apricots and some oranges. When we cut into the orange we were shocked to see red splotches - not all red like this orange (I'm sure it has been hybridized to look like this). Our first thought was that the orange was diseased. We tasted hesitantly; it was tangier than the naval oranges we were used to, but it was juicy and fresh-tasting. Since that time I have sought out blood oranges. I find these to be not as good as the ones I tasted in Italy. While they are red inside, the flavour is more like the naval oranges. And the marbled colour of the Italian oranges was much more interesting and surprising.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting us know a trip to Italy is in order!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you make that decision to taste, even hesitantly, when you suspected they might be diseased? What an adventure that turned out so positively.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan - I think it tasted better because you were on vacation!

    ReplyDelete