Saturday, March 27, 2010

Mar 26/10 Viger Station


Mar 26/10 Viger Station, originally uploaded by susanvg.

One thing I love about my daily photographing is it often piques my interest to learn more- not just about photography, but about my subjects. I have long admired this building (shot from my car window while I was stopped at a red light). I had spent most of the day in a meeting without photo ops and the rest of the day was not likely to provide many possibilities. In the recesses of my brain I thought I remembered that this had once been a station (Daily Shoot: Think of a subject that starts with either the letter "D" or "S". Find it, and make a photo!). Later in the day I started researching.

This is what I discovered. This was once known as Chateau Viger. It was built for the CPR (Canadian Pacific Railway), with the station on the lower levels and a grand hotel above. When it was built, (1896-98), Old Montreal was still the hub of the financial district and the proximity to the port, as well, made it an ideal place for a station. As the city centre moved further north and west, the station was abandonned. The last train to leave the station left in 1951. The future of the building is still undecided.

5 comments:

  1. One thing I love about sharing our daily photographs is learning about the communities, places and people that present in our lives.

    Seems like too beautiful a building to waste! Thanks for sharing your learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - what a great story find. And - more than 55 years and they still are trying to figure out it's future? Sounds like a lot of us who don't know what we want to be when we grow up yet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the photo and the information. It's always nice to learn while browsing photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting, and so true what you say about learning other things besides taking pictures.
    What a massive building to stand there unused for so long, though! Has it really been empty for half a century?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful building - I like the architecture. I hope its modern use will do justice to its origins.

    ReplyDelete