Sunday, February 22, 2009

Day 51: Arrived in Toronto

I have grown up with air travel, yet I still have a sense of wonder over how you can get so quickly from one place to another. At 5:00 pm I was in Montreal. An hour later I landed in Toronto.

IMG_2782
I flew Porter Airlines, which operates a fleet of commuter planes (propeller), but which gives more pleasant service and lands at a small airport on an island just off downtown Toronto. Travel time is reduced but the variety of vehicles is increased. Car to the airport, plane to Toronto Island, ferry to mainland (less than 5 minutes), bus into centre of city. This time I walked to the hotel. Sometimes I have had to take a subway to my destination.

Day 51: Arrived in Toronto
Toronto – the business city – with tall buildings each brandishing a banking corporate logo on top. And the CN Tower – lit in garish colours – an anomoly amidst the overlit office buildings. No signs of energy problems here – by the number of lit windows, you would think the whole city works day and night.

1 comment:

  1. What a collection! You could star in your own version of "Planes, Trains and Automobiles".

    ReplyDelete