Monday, February 2, 2009

Day 32: The old and the new


Day 32: The old and the new, originally uploaded by susanvg.

My spouse and I went snowshoeing - his snowshoes are a traditional pair, wood frame with gut webbing. The harness and straps are leather and the snowshoes are worn with leather mukluks. He loves the connection with the original users of snowshoes - the first peoples and later the settlers of Quebec. Snowshoes were a must to get around in deep snow, whether for travelling, hunting, trapping or logging. You can read a bit more about snowshoes here. I understand this feeling of connection. My snowshoes are modern - aluminum and modern materials - no history there. They are made as sports items. It's true that I use them that way. As a child I had a pair of traditional snowshoes and I could feel like a pioneer as I trudged through the woods or on the frozen lake. While I enjoy the newer design (cleats so as not to slip, slightly narrower shape), I have taken a step away from the tradition for which they were made.

No comments:

Post a Comment