Friday, January 23, 2009

Day 23: Which Way the Wind


Day 23: Which Way the Wind, originally uploaded by susanvg.

This weather vane sits atop my house, just a decoration not functional. By now it is fixed in one place, pointing out the directions in the city. This may seem simple, but Montreal's north is not really north. What we think of as East West streets really go from NE to SW.

I was exploring Google Maps one day and was shocked to find out that downtown Montreal, which I thought was south of my house was really north. It was very hard to wrap my mind around that.

So my useless weather vane turned out to be not so useless after all, as it straightened out directions in our lopsided city.

1 comment:

  1. Great story - Great shot! Weather vanes are always so interesting...

    ReplyDelete