Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Day 20: Snow Fort


Day 20: Snow Fort, originally uploaded by susanvg.

Walking through my neighbourhood, I passed the schoolyard. Children were building a snow fort near a tree. A few things struck me about this - we call it a snow fort, not a snow house. This brings with it the idea of keeping safe inside and keeping others out. When I was teaching in school, this was so often the case. What started as play - let's build - turned into possession - let's keep people out.

It has been a momentous day. Barack Obama was sworn in as President of the United States. I watched with tears in my eyes to see and feel the hope for change in the air. Having lived through the 50s and 60s, I saw the evolution that brought the U.S. to today.

It is a pleasure to see children playing. Can Barack Obama help eliminate the racism and other impediments to mutual respect. In the future will children be building houses instead of forts?

1 comment:

  1. making snow forts looks like fun, but also hard work!

    ReplyDelete