Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Day 14: Canadian Authors


Day 14: Canadian Authors, originally uploaded by susanvg.

There was an article in the paper saying that most Canadians could not name even one Canadian author. Here are just a few of the ones living on my book shelf. I see Rohinton Mistry's, A Fine Balance, a tale set in India, so well written I read for three days straight. And Donna Morrisey from Newfoundland, who describes the lives of ordinary people living in outposts. Michael Ignatieff, now the leader of the opposition in our government, wrote a novel, Scar Tissue, about Alzheimer's which resonated with me as I had watched my mother's decline. And Yan Martel's, The Life of Pi, which explores many philosphical issues through an engaging tale of a boy on a small boat. Michael Ondatje has woven many wonderful books - Anil's Ghost is one that stands out for me. Canada's literature is so enriched by the people from other countries who have settled here and who write about their immigrant experiences as well as stories set in their countries of origin.

Two more Newfoundland authors sit on this shelf, Annie Proulx (Shipping News) and Wayne Johnston who writes a fictional account of Joey Smallwood, the premier who brought Newfoundland into Canada. The multi-talented Anne-Marie Macdonald writes about disfunctional families in a sensitive yet devastating way. And I have spent time with so many more authors: Margaret Lawrence, Timothy Findlay, Robertson Davies, to name a few. Their turns of phrase, insights, word paintings and compelling storytelling have delighted, saddened and touched every one of my emotions and through my time with them I have grown.

No comments:

Post a Comment