Monday, January 12, 2009

Day 12: Recycling Travels


Day 11: Recycling Travels, originally uploaded by susanvg.

Here's a photo that is really about the story - the picture is not artistic.

I travel regularly between our place in Casselman and our place in Montreal. Today I had a different passenger - our recycling box. As our apartment is slightly off the street, the town of Casselman wants to charge for recycling, so we have decided to have our recycling travel.

Looking in the box I have to think about how packaging has changed over the years. Eggs in plastic instead of cardboard, multiple packaging for one item ... Then there are the new ways of packaging with things that cannot be recycled - styrofoam. Thank goodness for recycling! At least our garbage contributions have lessened.

I came home to a week's worth of mail and despite the sign on my door for no junk mail, I have a pile of envelopes, packaging and solicitations to recycle. I guess the Casselman box will have a Montreal partner beside it tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

  1. I'm lucky enough to live in a community where not only do we recycle in the basic sense, but now we can also recycle kitchen and green waste. I already have a composter, but in fall and spring, it just can't handle all the garden cleaning and pruning "waste". As for kitchen waste, a lot can't be handled by regular garden composting. I'm beginning to realise how lucky we are to have such a forward looking municipality as I'm looking at other municipalities where I would like to move for retirement.

    ReplyDelete